How Late Justice Innocent Umezulike found himself on Buhari's travel ban list

    Published on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 17:11 GMT by Uchechi Collins


The Administration of Muhammadu Buhari once again dead did the incredible on the recent Executive Order 6 (EO6) issued yesterday by the Presidency

President Buhari had earlier approved an executive order restricting 50 high profile Nigerians from traveling out of the country pending corruption charges.

Late former Chief Judge of Enugu State, Justice Innocent Umezulike was included on the travel ban list, sparking reactions from Nigerians and accused the government of  Buhari of gross violation of the deceased rights, Nigerian regret this actions as the family of the deceased expressed displeasure over the inclusion of their late father who served the country with everything he had in the so-called list.

The Secretary-General of the Federation, Mr. Bossa Mustapha explained the list was compiled in 2015 before the personalities died but had no intention to released an unreviewed version claiming it was leaked to the press by unknown individuals.

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has condemned the travel ban.
criticizing the administration for including eight dead Nigerians who were appointed by President Buhari to the boards of several government agencies back in 2017.

In the Executive Order No. 6 issued by President Muhammadu Buhari, the restriction placed on the 50 Nigerians, the FG said, followed the judicial affirmation of the constitutionality and legality of the order.

The watch-list and restriction, it said were put in place pending the conclusion of the cases against those affected.

According to findings, the former governors barred from leaving the country are: Saminu Turaki (Jigawa), Murtala Nyako (Adamawa), Adebayo Alao-Akala (Oyo), Gabriel Suswam (Benue), Rasheed Ladoja (Oyo), Orji Uzor Kalu (Abia), Danjuma Goje (Gombe), Attahiru Bafarawa (Sokoto), Muazu Babangida Aliyu (Niger); Chimaroke Nnamani (Enugu); Sule Lamido (Jigawa); Gbenga Daniel (Ogun); and Ibrahim Shehu Shema (Katsina), who all belong to both the All Progressives Congress (APC) and People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

The travel ban also affected retired Colonel Samo Dasuki, a former National Security Adviser, two female former ministers, Nenadi Usman, and Jumoke Akinjide, while Bashir Yuguda, Bala Mohammed; Abba Moro; Femi Fani-Kayode; and Ahmadu Fintiri are also affected with the travel ban.

Others on the list include a former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh; ex-Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral A. D. Jibrin; a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Mohammed Dikko Umar; a former Inspector-General of Police, Sunday Ehindero; and a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu; Chairman Emeritus of AIT/ Raypower, High Chief Raymond Dokpesi; Waripamowei Dudafa (a former Special Assistant (Domestic) to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan); a former Chief Judge of Enugu State, Justice Innocent Umezulike; a former judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia.

A former National Publicity Secretary of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh; Chief Jide Omokore; Ricky Tarfa; and Dele Belgore (SAN), were also included in the travel ban list.

The organization also said that the Executive Order is clearly arbitrary, repressive and illegal.

Meanwhile, Senior Advocate of Nigeria Mr. Femi Falana voiced concerns over the ban lists and called it unconstitutional, he called for an immediate withdrawal of the travel ban.

Like this story? Share with a friend!

Axact

Axact

Vestibulum bibendum felis sit amet dolor auctor molestie. In dignissim eget nibh id dapibus. Fusce et suscipit orci. Aliquam sit amet urna lorem. Duis eu imperdiet nunc, non imperdiet libero.

Post A Comment:

0 comments: